You only get one You. While I like to compare my body to a garden, a car, or a well-oiled machine, it’s not. The difference is, if I don’t take care of my car, I can get another one. If I let my garden go to weeds or find out that the soil is all rocks and salt- I can go and garden somewhere else. But my body? This is all I get. It’s more like having one car all your life; only one garden in one place, and the climate that comes with it. There are no new car lots at which to cash in or trade up, no farmer’s market to substitute for the tilling and planting you have to do yourself. That’s the body.
Simple steps that can improve your health routine and lower your stress level are listed below:
- Exercise consistently.
- Eat well, especially fruits and vegetables.
- Take good care of your mental and emotional health.
- See your doctor for regular checkups. Follow prescribed instructions.
- Speak up about the cause of your stress.
- Leave negative environments.
- Surround yourself with positive people and situations.
- Create peaceful settings.
- Develop a strong network of family and friends. Those who do this tend to manage stress better than those choose to manage alone.
Cultivation of a great garden is deliberate. It may seem that healthy plants grow well on their own, but when you look closely, it becomes clear that they are responding to a very specific set of conditions. Be intentional about maintaining the conditions that produce good physical, mental and spiritual health. Embrace the natural beauty that results. You only get one You.
From the list above, in which area would you like to initiate positive change?